PCR is an acronym for a polymerase chain reaction. It is the most reliable and precise method for identifying active infections. PCR test is used to determine the presence of genetic material from a particular organism, such as Coronavirus. If you are infected with a virus at the time of the test, the PCR test identifies its existence. Additionally, the test may identify viral fragments even if you are no longer infected. PCR tests generally take several hours; however, some tests are quicker.
Moreover, you can perform PCR tests at home and there are also health care services available that allow the user to perform polymerase chain reactions in the comfort of their own home in Dubai. So, continue reading to know about PCR testing, Home PCR test procedure, and protocol to get PCR test at home via health care services.
Steps for performing Home PCR test
The following are the primary steps in doing a PCR test at home:
Before you begin
- Read the instructions carefully that come with your testing kit.
- Blow your nose before you begin.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap or use a hand sanitizer.
- Set your test equipment down on a flat surface, such as a table.
Taking a swab sample for PCR Test at Home
You need to follow certain steps to take a swab sample:
- At first, remove the swab from the packet.
- Do not allow the fabric tip (soft section) of the Swab to come into contact with anything.
- Use a mirror to examine the back of your throat specifically the tonsil region. The swab mustn’t come into contact with your teeth, tongue, or gums.
- After that, rub the swab’s fabric tip over your tonsils for ten seconds.
- It’s natural to feel a little uncomfortable.
- Lastly, remove the swab carefully, without touching anything else in your mouth.
- Now insert the same swab into your nose until the swab feels as it cannot go any further.
- The swab is around 2.5 cm (1 inch) and you should rotate this swab for 10 to 15 seconds inside your nose.
Packaging the PCR testing kit
- Remove the cap from the sample tube and insert the swab fabric end first into the tube.
- Snap off the stick at the breaking point. This helps ensure that no germs from your hands are mixed with your test.
- Firmly screw the cap onto the tube.
- Clean and rinse your hands one more.
- Place the absorbent pad and tube bag in the zip-lock bag.
- Close the bag.
- Now place the zip-lock bag into the biohazard bag.
- Make sure that the barcode on the plastic tube matches the one on the biohazard bag.
- Seal the bag using a silver seal.
- Assemble the return box in the manner specified on the box.
- Place the biohazard bag inside the box and seal it.
- Apply the security seal according to the instructions on the box.
- This package already has a return address label on it. It may be returned via a priority safe box. Then this test will be transported to the laboratory for analysis and you will get results in 2 days.
Be aware that taking a swab can be an unpleasant feeling and cause you to gag, however, it should not cause pain.
Benefits of performing PCR test at home in Dubai
There are the following benefits of performing PCR test at home. You do not have to travel to the hospital to take the test or to receive the test. You can perform the test easily at home or book a test where a health care team will be sent to you to take the test. The risk of contracting Covid-19 will be reduced as you do not have to go outside to take the test.
Although you can perform a PCR test at home, it is crucial that it must be performed by a DHA-registered expert nurse to ensure that an adequate sample is taken.
Procedure to get express fast PCR test at home in Dubai
First of all, book a test. You can contact Medilife Healthcare for an Express Fast PCR Test in Dubai.
DHA (Dubai Health Authority) licensed nurse will visit your house to collect a sample, using all necessary precautions. The gathered sample will be analyzed in approved labs, and you will get the lab’s results through email as soon as possible.